Monday, September 02, 2002

11:30 am Sunday morning. I'm cleaning off my computer desk and I run downstairs to look for a box in the garage. Phone rings. Chris yells its the security company for the hospital. "This is Kathryn". "Ms Spears, the fire alarm has gone off in the hospital. The two sensors in the lobby and in the surgical room. I've dispatched a unit from the fire department already." All my worst dreams about a fire in the clinic rise to the surface. I don't even remember doing it but I was in my car driving to the hospital. I'm only five minutes away, luckily. Sure enough there is a fire truck parked outside our hospital. Now I know what the phrase, hit the ground running means because that is what I did. I sized up the one I thought was in charge, introduced myself and asked what the situation was. Unfortunately, the key we left them was never updated from our recent lock change so they were unable to get in. Happily, I obliged. I told them what the security company told me and we quickly checked the lobby and surgical areas. No smoke and all seemed well. I told them that the people next door were doing construction on the new chinese restaurant and that sometimes dust particles waft over and that is probably what had occured. Quickly, I run back to the cat condos and dog runs. Everyone meowing and barking happily. Whew. There is a team of about five of these guys and while I'm assessing the situation, these doofs are up front putting on our soft elizabethean collars. I think they particularly liked the camoflauged ones. Heehehe. Nothing like seeing a grown man with a hug lampshade around his neck. Dork! At this point, I'm coming down from my adrenaline rush and thinking mmmm men in uniform. Tasty. I give them a new key to put in the emergency box and write my name down to have them call me on Tuesday in regards to getting them an alarm code. Lucky me. Still, all in all, I have to say I am shocked at how together I was. I almost had one of those out of body experiences where I kept saying, "Wow, look you're acting just like a real live grown up." Scary thought.

..... birthday impending. Blech.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home