Thursday, September 19, 2002

I found Comus in Half Price Books. It has a lot of other poems by John Milton. Slow reading due to the old english stylings. From what I gather Comus is a wild spirit likened to Baachus and he has just beset the forrest with a frenzied party with other fey folk. There are two brothers and a virginal sister lost within this same forest. The sister has wandered away from her brothers and mistakes the noise from Comus and company as her brothers. But, Comus has heard her beforehand and has dismissed the others and disguised himself as a shepherd. Further off, one brother worries of his sister's fate while the other claims that her chastity will insure her safety, evermore. Typical male. I can't tell yet whether Comus is thinking on preying upon this virginal maiden, but it looks likely. He claims he will guide her to a safe house within this forest, where she may rest. More to come......

Meanwhile in real life......

My niece kitty, Xena (Mongo's kitty) is very very very ill. We have done alot of diagnostics at the hospital. Here is what we found today. She has cardiomyopathy, which is the thickening of the heart muscle. Common in cats and treatable with medicines. This makes her heart pump extra hard to make the blood go through the valve which is being constricted upon by the heart muscle. Her bloodwork looks good except for a high Calcium and a low Phosphorus and slightly elevated white blood count, which indicates an infection. We found the infection today. She has a swollen nailbed. Oral antibiotics and ointment for that. However, we also did an ultrasound. The untrasonographer found a mass in her chest and a collapsed lung. The doctor seems to think that the mass has caused the collapsed lung. In theory, she can live with the lung collapse, but the mass is a more grave issue. Dr. Werner is 98% sure it is a lymphosarcoma. Any mass, as long as it is not in the bone or in a major organ, can usually be removed. Unfortunately, her heart condition puts her at great risk under anesthesia, i.e. she could die on the surgical table. So, the plan is to take heart meds for three weeks to see if this controls her heart rate. Oh, it is 280 now and it should be 100-180. Once this is stabilized, we consider exploratory surgery to excise the mass and send it to pathology to determine what kind of tumor it is. Then we decide whether we do chemotherapy. Lymphosarcoma usually runs rampant through the body and more than one mass is probable. The chemo treats the whole body before we wait on finding another mass large enough to show up on radiographs or ultrasound. Xena is vomiting now, either due to the mass or the high calcium levels. We are treating this with injectibles in hopes to keep food down her so she can get well quicker. This is really hard for me because I am working both sides of the exam table. I'm there for the doctor and there for my inlaws. I'm trying to be the strong one and help them with all of the options. You know, I'm just really tired of September. Nothing good seems to be coming out of this month. I feel the stress piling on my back. I wonder how long I can go before I break. Scary thought.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home