Sunday, March 21, 2004

When I close my eyes
And sit very still
I can feel my body come alive
Each breath expanding my lungs
Then pushing its way slowly through my mouth
My chest, rising and falling
Like clothing hung on a line in a summer breeze
I can feel the beat of my heart
Pounding its rhythm like a drum in my ears
Through all of this, I sense this weight
Pushing down on my shoulders
It is not the events o the day
Returned to haunt my tense body
Moreso, like the energy of the earth
Pulling me deep down into its rich depths
If I were a tree
I could sprout roots and reach down
Down into that moist darkness
So like a mother's womb
Where the spark of life begins
And so, I do not fight it
This tugging of my soul
And I push out of myself
Like a lizard, shedding its skin
Yet I am still there
Breathing and thinking
Heart beats set in time with the earth
I can feel it all
The cool breeze, lifting my hair
The warm sun, warming my skin
A taste of distant rain on my lips
And the prickle of grass between my toes
In this one moment
I am who I am meant to be
All that I was before and will be again
Caught and twined together
Forming a whole person
I am alive
I hold this secret safe
Like an ancient knowledge revealed
And if there is a deity
I must be blessed and cherished
To have received this gift of life

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home