And it goes a little something like this....
Hey, how was your day?
Fine. Yours?
Shitty.
Yeah? Bad huh?
No. Shitty. Literally.
It all started about 2pm. As a combination Team Building/Baby Shower, my co-director and I brought the nurses and receptionist together for our weekly meeting. We played silly games like the clothespin baby game, where everyone gets a clothespin and you can't say the word "baby". If you are caught saying it, someone claims your clothespin. Another game we had teams of two people and they had to "change the baby". This entailed both people cooperating together using only one of their hands in conjunction with their team member's one hand, essentially making one mommy out of two people. They had to choose a baby doll, put a diaper, pants and shirt (some of them with buttons) while racing two other teams. The other game was hilarious just to sit back and watch. We took four diapers and melted Snickers, Snickers Cruncher, Milky Way and Pay Day candy bars in them for the "poop" effect. Everyone had to pass around, smell, look, taste as needed to identify the poo. Good times were had by all.
And then.... The shit hit the fan.
My kennel manager, whom you may remember from a previous blog entry that broke her ankle and wanted everyone to feel sorry for her, hurt her back today. No one really knows how she did this since she informed us at 5pm that she hurt her back. What she did from 3pm to 5pm, goddess only knows, because none of it involved feeding, medicating, walking the animals or cleaning the kennel. Once again, I told her to clock out and to go home. Once again, I get nothing but argument from her. I deduced from this that the back complaints was just another ploy for attention, which she has been doing off and on for the last several months. But, as a manager, I have to keep in mind the safety of our employees and it was the right decision to send her home. So, I get my ass up out of the office, blowing kisses to all the fond paperwork that once again will be put off until later, to go help clean the kennel which is now 2 hours behind schedule.
We have a very nice, but small kennel. There are special troughs in each kennel cage that runs water where you can spray any refuse and it flows out through a central drain. Now, for obvious purposes, we schedule the kennel manager to clean out the drain of various dog hair and refuse that collects, once monthly. But, we have the worst kennel manager in the history of the world. And yes, guess what. When I turned on the water to the trough, the drain started to back up. Hair, rotting food and shit poured out all over my shoes, socks and scrubpants legs. Yes, my friends, it was one of those "run away to Mexico" moments. I think the only thing that got me through not retching was my anger. Luckily, I had a rescuer in the form of our male receptionist. I'm not proud. I was very very glad to have the services of a man at that time. So, the two of us, standing in shit water, plungered, power-washed and dug out gobs of hair and shit with a coat hanger. There is no way that drain had been cleared in the last 6 months. Once we finally broke free the major clog, we found the culprit. A plastic squeaky newspaper dog toy that somehow got flushed into the drain. That, added with hair, food and poo made this the shittiest Friday I've ever had. I've just had an hour long soak in a bubble bath. I considered bleach, but thought against it. The shoes and socks, after amusing the cats for an hour have been brutally tossed into the trash, never to be seen or smelled again.
So next time you ask someone how their day was, consider what they truly mean when they say.....
SHITTY.
Hey, how was your day?
Fine. Yours?
Shitty.
Yeah? Bad huh?
No. Shitty. Literally.
It all started about 2pm. As a combination Team Building/Baby Shower, my co-director and I brought the nurses and receptionist together for our weekly meeting. We played silly games like the clothespin baby game, where everyone gets a clothespin and you can't say the word "baby". If you are caught saying it, someone claims your clothespin. Another game we had teams of two people and they had to "change the baby". This entailed both people cooperating together using only one of their hands in conjunction with their team member's one hand, essentially making one mommy out of two people. They had to choose a baby doll, put a diaper, pants and shirt (some of them with buttons) while racing two other teams. The other game was hilarious just to sit back and watch. We took four diapers and melted Snickers, Snickers Cruncher, Milky Way and Pay Day candy bars in them for the "poop" effect. Everyone had to pass around, smell, look, taste as needed to identify the poo. Good times were had by all.
And then.... The shit hit the fan.
My kennel manager, whom you may remember from a previous blog entry that broke her ankle and wanted everyone to feel sorry for her, hurt her back today. No one really knows how she did this since she informed us at 5pm that she hurt her back. What she did from 3pm to 5pm, goddess only knows, because none of it involved feeding, medicating, walking the animals or cleaning the kennel. Once again, I told her to clock out and to go home. Once again, I get nothing but argument from her. I deduced from this that the back complaints was just another ploy for attention, which she has been doing off and on for the last several months. But, as a manager, I have to keep in mind the safety of our employees and it was the right decision to send her home. So, I get my ass up out of the office, blowing kisses to all the fond paperwork that once again will be put off until later, to go help clean the kennel which is now 2 hours behind schedule.
We have a very nice, but small kennel. There are special troughs in each kennel cage that runs water where you can spray any refuse and it flows out through a central drain. Now, for obvious purposes, we schedule the kennel manager to clean out the drain of various dog hair and refuse that collects, once monthly. But, we have the worst kennel manager in the history of the world. And yes, guess what. When I turned on the water to the trough, the drain started to back up. Hair, rotting food and shit poured out all over my shoes, socks and scrubpants legs. Yes, my friends, it was one of those "run away to Mexico" moments. I think the only thing that got me through not retching was my anger. Luckily, I had a rescuer in the form of our male receptionist. I'm not proud. I was very very glad to have the services of a man at that time. So, the two of us, standing in shit water, plungered, power-washed and dug out gobs of hair and shit with a coat hanger. There is no way that drain had been cleared in the last 6 months. Once we finally broke free the major clog, we found the culprit. A plastic squeaky newspaper dog toy that somehow got flushed into the drain. That, added with hair, food and poo made this the shittiest Friday I've ever had. I've just had an hour long soak in a bubble bath. I considered bleach, but thought against it. The shoes and socks, after amusing the cats for an hour have been brutally tossed into the trash, never to be seen or smelled again.
So next time you ask someone how their day was, consider what they truly mean when they say.....
SHITTY.
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home