Monday, May 01, 2006

Happy Beltaine or May Day!

In a traditional sense, this day, in the pagan holiday, is a fertility celebration. Beltaine honors the union of the God and Goddess and the beginning of the fertile Goddess's reign. We see Her power in the flowering plants and warm days. This day marks the emergence of the God into manhood. The Goddess and the God unite, and the Goddess becomes pregnant. Flowers and greenery symbolize the Goddess, the Maypole the God. This is also true of the world around us. The days of winter are diminished and all around us emerge the lush and fertile plants and flowers of Spring.

Now, while I didn't erect a Maypole, I did continue onto constructing the second planter box this morning. The backyard is shaping up! In honor of Beltaine, I planted a variety of flowers in this box:

Allysum
Plumbago
Melampodium
Dainthus
Marigold
Petunia
Geranium
Jasmine
Salvia

Live life, smell the flowers and feel the sun on your face! Blessed Be!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home