Friday, June 30, 2006

Tamales

I have had the best time the past few days. Things are going really well.
A few weeks ago, Steve and I had the weekly talk of "What do we want to
cook this week?" Since he is the Grill Master, we usually have a regimine
of hamburgers, steaks and some grilled fish. That time he said, I want something
Mexican, not fajitas. What can you make? "I can make anything", says I, with confidence.
I want the tamales like they have at Central Market, says he. Urrgh.
I can make anything but tamales! That week, we settled on vegetarian enchiladas.
I know, the world is ending because Steve the MeatEater McManus had vegetarian!
It was good and I made entirely way too much, but I started to think.
Why can't I make tamales? So I did a little research on the intarweb.
It really isn't that hard, a bit time consuming in that you have to steam them for three hours,
but not bad at all.
I made pork flavored with a variety of chiles and onion. OH MY GODDESS!!! They are so good.
Then I thought about the dessert tamales they have at Curra's. They are good, but I'm not fond of the coconut and Steve wasn't a big fan of the rice. So I thought, what is more
Mexican-American than Apple Tamales? Nothing, says I! I took the masa and made it with a
little bit of sugar, cinnamon and milk instead of the water and chicken stock.
Oh, yeah. We're good! Steve and I had a good time smearing the masa into the corn husks.
We had a better time eating them. Who knows what kind we will try next!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home