Am I alive?
Just barely. If feels like the last three weeks have been a whirlwind of insanity.
This last week I have been spending my time between being in bed with a head
cold and trying to continue to unpack, sort and store. I hate boxes.
The week before last, I did a great impression of a rat in a rat maze of boxes.
I ran around darting between boxes quite nicely. Only the cheese was missing.
The furniture came and 20% of it couldn't fit up the stairs into the apartment.
The bureau, bookshelf and four posts for the bed are downstairs in the basement.
The headboard couldn't even fit in the basement. We had to leave it outside until
a friend of Steve's came over to help us rope lift it up to the second story balcony.
What a pain! But we finally have a bed again. IKEA delivered our couches and Steve
is happily putting together surround sound for the HD flatscreen tv so we can cuddle
on the couch and watch tv again.
The cats survived the move nicely. All praise the blessed Acepromazine sedative.
Rambeau was the only one that was a pain and that just due to her vocality. It was amusing to see us smuggling them into our hotel room each night. We left Austin on a Tuesday at 9:30ish am. We were through Dallas by 2. We drove on through until 10 pm and stopped in Arkansas. Oh my god we were tired. The car smelled bad because Conan insisted on laying in the
litterbox after someone peed in it. Bone weary and ready to drop, we gave all the cats a sponge bath that night to make them and us feel better. They were all pretty good about taking the meds and especially Pitshi with her antibiotics and sub Q fluids. We got a late start the next day but were on the road by 10. Basically, I drove the mornings and Steve drove the nights. We stopped the second night at 11 in Maryland. By the third day, we had everything down pat. We got out on the road at 8am to a soupy rainy morning with little to no visibilty. Fun fun for me. But I did it! I drove until we hit Jersey. Steve took over after that and we hit Boston about
4pm, braindead. I think the most amusing thing about the whole trip was the looks we got at the fast food places and gas stations (they still have full service gas stations in the northeast) from the people who saw all of the cats in the car. All in all, we made it alive.
The first Monday we were here, I woke up and it was snowing. It wasn't cold enough to stick but still it was a nice welcoming. Sadly, it has been oddly warm here. Of course all my friends in Texas will laugh at me when I talk about 40's being warm. For me, 50's here feel like 70 in Texas and 30's feel like 50 so I seem to be adjusting to the weather with little problems. Of course there hasn't been much freezing rain or wind yet. Yet.
Next week is Christmas/Yule. I have the whole feast planned, of course. We are going to spend some of it with some friends/parties. I'm missing you all very much but we are settling in here very well. I've had one job interview already and I am waiting for the second stage process of interviewing with HR. I'll be looking harder in January when we are completely unpacked, settled and it is after the holidays. I'm still crossing my fingers for snow on Christmas. The cats are all frisky and seem to be loving the cold weather. We go out on the back porch and chirp at birds on the nice days.
Ok, that should be enough of an update for now. I promise to write more now that I don't feel so overwhelmed. I hope everyone is doing well. Until next time.
Just barely. If feels like the last three weeks have been a whirlwind of insanity.
This last week I have been spending my time between being in bed with a head
cold and trying to continue to unpack, sort and store. I hate boxes.
The week before last, I did a great impression of a rat in a rat maze of boxes.
I ran around darting between boxes quite nicely. Only the cheese was missing.
The furniture came and 20% of it couldn't fit up the stairs into the apartment.
The bureau, bookshelf and four posts for the bed are downstairs in the basement.
The headboard couldn't even fit in the basement. We had to leave it outside until
a friend of Steve's came over to help us rope lift it up to the second story balcony.
What a pain! But we finally have a bed again. IKEA delivered our couches and Steve
is happily putting together surround sound for the HD flatscreen tv so we can cuddle
on the couch and watch tv again.
The cats survived the move nicely. All praise the blessed Acepromazine sedative.
Rambeau was the only one that was a pain and that just due to her vocality. It was amusing to see us smuggling them into our hotel room each night. We left Austin on a Tuesday at 9:30ish am. We were through Dallas by 2. We drove on through until 10 pm and stopped in Arkansas. Oh my god we were tired. The car smelled bad because Conan insisted on laying in the
litterbox after someone peed in it. Bone weary and ready to drop, we gave all the cats a sponge bath that night to make them and us feel better. They were all pretty good about taking the meds and especially Pitshi with her antibiotics and sub Q fluids. We got a late start the next day but were on the road by 10. Basically, I drove the mornings and Steve drove the nights. We stopped the second night at 11 in Maryland. By the third day, we had everything down pat. We got out on the road at 8am to a soupy rainy morning with little to no visibilty. Fun fun for me. But I did it! I drove until we hit Jersey. Steve took over after that and we hit Boston about
4pm, braindead. I think the most amusing thing about the whole trip was the looks we got at the fast food places and gas stations (they still have full service gas stations in the northeast) from the people who saw all of the cats in the car. All in all, we made it alive.
The first Monday we were here, I woke up and it was snowing. It wasn't cold enough to stick but still it was a nice welcoming. Sadly, it has been oddly warm here. Of course all my friends in Texas will laugh at me when I talk about 40's being warm. For me, 50's here feel like 70 in Texas and 30's feel like 50 so I seem to be adjusting to the weather with little problems. Of course there hasn't been much freezing rain or wind yet. Yet.
Next week is Christmas/Yule. I have the whole feast planned, of course. We are going to spend some of it with some friends/parties. I'm missing you all very much but we are settling in here very well. I've had one job interview already and I am waiting for the second stage process of interviewing with HR. I'll be looking harder in January when we are completely unpacked, settled and it is after the holidays. I'm still crossing my fingers for snow on Christmas. The cats are all frisky and seem to be loving the cold weather. We go out on the back porch and chirp at birds on the nice days.
Ok, that should be enough of an update for now. I promise to write more now that I don't feel so overwhelmed. I hope everyone is doing well. Until next time.
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home