Wednesday, March 07, 2007

I'm on a classical literature reading kick.
I reread Oscar Wilde's The Picture of Dorian Gray , which I adored in high school. A lot of homosexual interludes that I missed before.
Now I'm reading poetry by Emily Dickinson, who I adored in junior high.
She was Emo, when Emo wasn't cool.
I'm struggling through Anthony Burgess' A Clockwork Orange.
I saw the movie and it disturbed me greatly.
The book interrupts my mental flow because the author has
replaced regular words with his own made up words.
Example: "Dim looked very surprised, his rot open, wiping
the krovvy off of his goober with his rook....."

Two chapters into this and I've just now figured out that rot is mouth.
I haven't the foggiest what a krovvy or goober is.
If I were to guess, I'd say krovvy is blood and goober is nose.
I think a rook is a hand or arm.
Oy vey. So Dim looked very surprised, his mouth open, wiping
the blood off of his nose with his hand... Makes sense, I guess.

And now a little Luna original, inspired by all of the poetry:

If passion were
A painted blur
On canvas bound in gold

Then I would fly
To Heaven's eye
To linger till I'm cold

But then again
On you my friend
I'd cast a motley spell

To break apart
Then steal your heart
And I to burn in hell

And all of this
Such artful bliss
An easy price to pay

Such lofty toll
For empty soul
That cannot turn away

And so my sweet
Don't turn thy cheek
But come into my arm

And I will swear
On you so fair
To never do you harm


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home